Sunday 3 October 2010

anti-catholicism & gays

Okay so, the one thing I'm worried about during my faith journey (and it managed to manifest its self last weekend from my nana no-less) is the anti-Catholicism that is still present in the mind-set of some people. Even Father Marcus brought it up when I was talking to him over a cuppa. I would have NO IDEA how to deal with it. I was expecting a bit of flak from Jessie to be honest, when I told her about our professor and H.O.P (head of programme. I actually think she is an associate professor.) and her telling me she comes from a Presbyterian background but currently goes to the Baptist church in town.

Next, I like girls right? The Churches teaching is that I should be celibate right? Okay-doke no problems. However, a lot of my gay friends have big problems with this. And Christianity in general. I think it's because they feel shat on. They feel not loved because they're being CONSTANTLY told that they (who are made in the image of God) are an abomination in the eyes of God. We are all called to chastity if we aren't married right? Who doesn't struggle with that? The homos struggle with the same urges as hetero people do. It's just that the homos will never be allowed to express their sexuality (orientation?) because the Church doesn't allow 2 men or 2 women to get married so they will be forever sinning when they do something sexual someone they love, who just so happens to be of the same sex. I'm not for gay marriage simply because marriage is a religious term, and I want my marriage between a man and woman. I am fine however, with what ever formal recognition the state wants to provide for people who don't share the religious convictions I do. I don't care if it's marriage by any other name. Here in New Zealand we have civil unions. 2 men can get together and get civilly-unified and have similar rights in regards to properties and what not but they're not married. I'm all down for that.

Homosexuality should be no different than any other sin, if I ever slept with a girl again through my own lack of self-control I would be down on my knees asking God for forgiveness. Just like any other sin I have committed

I hope that makes sense..

No comments:

Post a Comment